Interview with Javier Fernández, consultant and expert for telecommunications and telephony companies
- What are the main problems concerning the physical stores of telecommunications companies?
Improving the customer’s purchasing experience is the main objective of all telecommunications operators, and, for this reason, they are constantly engaged in improving and implementing the point of sale. It’s vitally important to have information on customer behaviour in-store to make the right strategic decisions and improve performance.
- . What are the most important KPIs for this type of company?
The commercial efficiency calculated in conjunction with the Conversion Rate is undoubtedly the most important KPI to better understand the possibilities of business growth. Other relevant KPIs are those that refer to the number of staff needed to serve customers optimally, or to traffic forecasts.
- Generally, companies invest a lot of resources in optimizing staff and store image. How are the results analysed without Retail Intelligence tools?
The type of analysis is more basic: only the sales units and the billing volumes can be analysed, both indicators that can give an idea of the store’s progress, but which are not able to identify if there is a product that customers likes the most and to study a strategy according to their preferences or need.
- How much do the TC Group Solutions tools fit into the digital transformation projects of companies like Orange or Vodafone? And how do you calculate the effectiveness of the investment after deciding to install in-store data measurement systems?
Firstly, sensitive data are able to show where, how and why sales can be increased, and obtain a constantly growing rate of commercial effectiveness, defining objectives not only because of their volume, but also their commercial quality. Once you have the information, knowing how much you’ve increased your sales compared to before, ROI (Return of Investment), it’s easy to calculate.
- Is there any aspect of store management that has changed since the installation of counting systems? (Staff’s compensation, staff schedules` management / shifts, achievement of objectives, changes in shop windows, shop opening hours, marketing / merchandising campaigns, point of sale layouts, etc.)?
These tools allow you to work in different areas of the company, to obtain relevant information for decision making. Calculating revenue is fundamental: it is used to establish new and better methods to reward staff, to know the results of multiples stores in real time or to establish the hours with more pedestrian traffic. The attraction rate, calculated from the number of entries, combined with the Conversion Rate, helps to identify the success level of promotional campaigns or the impact of a change of layout in a showcase.
- How much has the data analysis been useful in optimizing the strategy of a business? What is the impact it has had on the conversion rate?
With certainty, the implementation of Retail Intelligence technologies has helped define the efficiency of the various actions in the operational plans of the communications operators. Before the introduction of the counting instruments, the only performance indicator was the sales volume. Now, however, by measuring the commercial capacity of the stores, it is possible to quickly understand, for example, whether to keep a point of sale open in the current location or to propose a more busy location, which would increase sales. Thanks to Retail Intelligence, telecommunications operators are improving their commercial efficiency because they have tools that help identify which actions are working and those that do not.